New adventure games

This is for general discussion about games or about games that are not really freeware.

Moderator: Crew

Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Scythe, what was the polt is Dreamfalls?

:p

I am hoping they do make a third longest journey and that it will hopefully not take as long to release as the second one... but still be as good as the first two. I know there is plans to make a third one, but having plans and making a game are two different things. And with the third there will be a lot of answers and fewer questions, but knowing the longest journey there will be even more questions and even fewer answers :p
Scythe
Winner of CWF review contest!

Post by Scythe »

The polt is Dreamfalls was a, now extinct, subspecies of Antarctic papier-mâché pseudo-dragons that enjoyed sliding down the frozen slopes chasing giant albino penguins.

I think I said before that I'm looking very much forward to a third Long Journey, and that I trust it'll wrap things up in a more conclusive manner, with actual explanations. :)
SGSW
Warhero
Location: On my way to hell or heaven whatever seems best at the moment

Post by SGSW »

Zyx wrote:SGSW, I too have made a back-up of all the LucasArts classics on a DVD by myself. They fit so much better when you have optimized them for ScummVM (compressed audio to MP3/Ogg, removed .exes and other files that ScummVM doesn't need). No Grim Fandango though, as it does not run on ScummVM (yet), but I prefer its original CDs and the artful sleeve (it's the best!) they are in.

You have the MP3 version of the Loom prologue cassette too, right?
I actually have the Original Loom CD, which seems to have everything the floppy drive had and a great sound track
http://www.vinylplastik.com/ - Wall Graphic Interiors - decoration - ships worldwide, AFAIK and it's run by someone I know.

htpp://www.lulu.com/ - Self-Publishing site

If you want a place to stay in Lisbon, staying for more than 3 days (excluding the yoth hostel) and are afraid to leave the girls with me try this http://lisbonsteps.blogspot.com/
Parvini
Tycoon

Post by Parvini »

I saw the Sam n Max sequel is finally getting released - it has been panned in PC Gamer... only 60% or something like that.

They said it just wasn't funny or anywhere near as good as the original.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n" - John Milton (Paradise Lost, Book I, lines 254-55)
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

Well it is episode based rather than one game, and all you have to order it online rather than being able to buy it in shops. So the first one in the series may just be a way to introduce the characters and give them something to build on for future episodes of the game...wait why am I justifying Sam and max...I never believe anything PC gamer has to offer :p
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Oh well, I think it's a given that nothing can be as good as the old sam&maxs and other similar games in our memories. No point comparing it to those legends. I want to know if it's any good, for example compared to the what's available now.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

I'm buying it at the end of the week...I think I might just pay for the whole season up front as it is a lot cheaper. Even if it ends up being really bad I know I will still play them all in hope that the next one is better and I have wasted money money on rubbish then these games cost. So I'll keep you updated on my opinions.

And I know it won't have the sparkle the other game has so I will be looking at it as the game itself and not comparing it to the old version in terms of story and gameplay, but maybe I will for the humor as that is what made sam and max so good :D
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

"I love lawn mowers, they're like golf carts with teeth!"

Oh well, the first episode of Sam & Max, while entertaining, seems to be a bit to the easy side. The graphics, controls and voices are okay and well, I like it. This reminds me of Grim Fandango in some strange way, more than any other 3D adventure game in recent past (not counting Psychonauts, which also has the same vibe). Maybe it's the developers' love I'm feeling...

What I really like about Sam&Max, is the amount of details. Compare the amount observable items to those in latest Broken Sword. There's lots of details and just insane stuff, which really has a real positive effect on the environment. And the Purcell-humor is there (there are couple of references to the comics, too!), which is a big plus.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

While I was picking up Neverwinter Nights 2, I also grabbed Tunguska and another adventure game called Keepsake. Even though I'll be spending the foreseeable future in the company of Jake Steel, Tiefling Rogue, those adventures should be played within this year, hopefully. :)

As for Sam 'n Max, it was never my favorite game, but once there's a whole season, I may consider it.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Having just finished Keepsake, I need to offer comments. I've read some pretty nasty reviews of this game (after buying it, of course), but it surely wasn't as bad as all that. It's not much of an adventure game, more a puzzle collection with an adventure interface. Kind of 7th Guest-y.

Lydia arrives at the school where she's supposed to study magic, only to find that everybody's vanished except for an annoying gypsy merchant and an even more annoying dragon-turned-wolf-locked-in-a-closet. If it sounds silly, it's not because it is - this game is quite serious.

After the initial events it's off to figure out what's happened, and to find your childhood friend, who's a student at the school, and her father, the headmaster. Doing that involves you solving a bunch of puzzle games, that is, when you're not wandering around the magical school trying to find a place you haven't been before, or where the next puzzle is initiated.

The game would be practically unplayable for people without a life's worth of patience if it wasn't for the built in hint system. Thus, it's only a click of a button to be shown where you should go next, and another click (up to four per puzzle) to be given a clue about the puzzle you're facing. Clues come in degrees of obscurity. First one generally tells you what you're supposed to be doing, the next one how to do it, the third one exactly how to do it, and the last one solves the puzzle for you. Convenient when you're totally stumped by some of the REALLY obscure ones (Test of Wisdom, I'm looking at you!).

Since the story moves at such an underwhelming pace, you have to stick with the game to appreciate it, but it's a really serious and totally bummer of a story as it turns out. Not at all the ending I'd expected either. Which is only good.

Best part of the game were the couple of times I caught myself feeling totally like I was Harry Potter. Funniest part is rating it 7+. I'd like to see a 7 year old play this, or even being read the story of this game. Maybe if I liked seeing 7 year olds cry...

Oh, and graphics are extremely pretty, but probably need a good sized PC to run properly. Also, I hear bad things about the North American version. The rest of us should get by fine with the 1.6 patch. I had no technical issues whatsoever.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

All right, people, I'm triple posting! Somebody stop me!

Finished Secret Files: Tunguska. Wow. Talk about your illogical puzzles and *ungh* voicing. If this is the only game in which I will ever tape a cell phone to the back of a cat right before salting its tuna pizza, I'll be a happy gamer.

But with lines like, "Not to worry, Sergej would never leave such a sweet ass hanging", what could possibly go wrong? This is one for the people who don't mind obscure puzzles and cheesy voice acting... Not that Nina's (the heroine) ass is bad for an animated one. Who can blame Sergej?

You may want to download the 200MB (I'm guessing, I don't actually rememeber) "more dramatic ending" and "what happened to the characters" file. Best/worst promise: Your favorite characters will return in the next Secret Files game in 2008!
Dizi
Legend

Post by Dizi »

I'll save you from doing a quad post :p

I haven't finished Tunguska yet, but have to agree with you about the voice acting. As if bad voice acting isn't bad enough, I want to know what the people who did the sound for the game were thinking as it would sound fine for a while and then go really loud and then sound like they were off in the distance somewhere all in one conversation.

The puzzles I am not finding difficult, I haven't gotten stuck once (yet), and the story seems fine to me...not the greatest but its playable. I might get it finished before christmas if I have a bit of free time nearer the day.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

It doesn't actually turn truly illogical until you've gotten a good way into it. Stupid, but not completely illogical. ;) You can solve most of it by excessively clicking every item on every other item when in doubt. Oh, and the whole pressing space to highlight hotspots helped a lot too.

I think the volume depends on the character's onscreen position. So if there's a camera change or something, the volume changes accordingly. I noticed that too.
Zyx
Pretender to the throne

Post by Zyx »

Has anyone played the second episode of Sam & Max, Situation: Comedy?

It was actually pretty cool. My only disappointment is that it revolved around the same scenes as the first one - I guess they took the TV series episodic metaphor a little bit too far. Otherwise I think this episode was much more filled with traditional Sam & Max humor and odd characters.

The problems weren't that much more difficult than in the first episode, but at least now the solutions weren't hinted so obviously in dialogue.

I have to say that this episodic format suits me pretty well. With shorter story arcs there's much possibility for more variety.
Do you has what it takes to join the Homestarmy? The guts? The determination? The five bucks? Join today!
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

New adventure game for Scythe: Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened.

It's a fully 3D FPS (without shooting) adventure game, where you star as Sherlock delving into a Cthulhu Mythos knockoff mystery.

Solving puzzles in this one is insane (and not just in the asylum you'll be visiting)! You get an onscreen prompt when you're near enough to a hotspot, but I'll bet you'll still miss at least half the items and clue zones the first time you enter an area. You literally have to crawl over every inch of the game in order not to miss the vital clue or item that will let you progress.

However, it is very atmospheric and pitting Sherlock against a Cthulhu cult is ingenious. Also, the graphics are astounding, though you'll probably need a high end PC for this one. Don't ask me how it landed a PG rating of 12+; it is pretty gruesome.

I hear that you should patch the game before starting it, as the patch is vital and is not compatible with pre-patch saves. With the patch installed, I finished the game without any technical issues, as long as I didn't ALT+TAB out of the game.
Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

Well I'm still waiting for Broken Sword 2.5. I'm a fan of the first two episodes.

Scythe, do you have a link for the Sherlock Holmes FPS?
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I think it's actually developed by Germans originally?

Anyway, the official link is http://www.sherlockholmes-thegame.com/
Tank
[insert custom title here]

Post by Tank »

Yes, it is by german developers and it's supposed to be released as Freeware. So, maybe it's something for this site ;)
And thanks for the link. Honestly I expected a freeware game not a real game, but that looks quite good.
German Moderator and Game Hunter Trainee.
Enjoy your stay.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Certainly this game could not come on less than a DVD. The same people made The Silver Earring; another Sherlock Holmes game, though one I haven't played.

If it were freeware, I'd have put it in the freeware subforum though. ;)
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Newest adventure game played and completed: Dead Reefs (brand sparkling new).

Terrible, just terrible. For starters, it's a keyboard only 3D graphic adventure. Haven't played one of those since Grim Fandango. The default keys don't work. They've assigned multiple functions to each key! So fx, turn left and activate are mapped to the same key. This means activate doesn't work, you'll always turn left instead! It took me five minutes to figure out why I couldn't exit a conversation, but it was due to this problem (double function for the key). Yikes!

After that we get to talk voice acting. I could have hired a random person passing by on the street, and they would have given a better performance than this. Utter rubbish!

Puzzles - nothing extraordinary, the usual too easy or too obscure, and lots of old, old puzzles recycled (getting 4 oz. of liquid, turning the match fish around, playing a tune after hearing it, yadda, yadda, boredom).

Plot - all over the place. Pirates, ghosts, necromancers, witches, demons, haunted mansion with secret corridors, gothic romance, family feud... all set in the 18th century. Nothing new, nothing interesting. Oh, and I think Johnny Depp should sue for their using his likeness for the main character.

And I haven't even mentioned how 70% of the game takes place in completely dark locations where the camera shifts around like crazy, preventing you from finding essential items...

All in all, not a single original thought in this game, and a completely crappy control system. Avoid like the plague. At least it was over and done with in less than six hours...